For the connector industry, the fourth quarter historically results in higher sales than the first, second, and third, but in this issue’s Facts & Figures, all quarters are not equal.
For years we’ve reported that for the connector industry, the fourth quarter historically results in higher sales than the first, second, and third quarters. That statement is accurate, but just barely.
We analyzed connector industry quarterly sales for the past seventeen years (1998-2014). Our findings are noted below:
- Averaged 25.5% of total year sales
- Achieved 25.0% or more of sales 14 of 17 years
- Was the highest sales quarter in eight of 17 years
Note, when the fourth quarter is less than 25% of sales, the following year results in a decline in sales. This happened in 2002, 2009, and 2012.
- Averaged 25.4% of annual sales
- Was the best quarter in seven of the 17 years
- Was the industry’s best quarter in the past five years (2010-2014) – perhaps 3Q is becoming the best sales quarter
Second Half of Year (3Q + 4Q)
- Resulted in 50.9% of total sales
- Accounted for 15 of the best quarters in total sales (note there can be only 17 best quarters because the analysis is over 17 years)
- Averaged 25.0% of total sales
- Had 11 quarters with 25% or more of sales
- Was the industry’s best quarter only once, in 2008 – this was just before the recession that began in 4Q08 and lasted until 4Q09
- Averaged 24.1% of total sales
- Achieved 25% or more of sales only three times in 17 years
- Was the industry’s best quarter only once, in 2001, at the beginning of the dot-com crash
First Half (1Q + 2Q)
- Averages 49.1% of total year sales.
No part of this article may be used without the permission of Bishop & Associates Inc. If you would like to receive additional news about the connector industry, register here. You may also contact us at email@example.com or by calling 630.443.2702.
- Innovation and Expansion Drives Growth of Global Cable Assembly Market - May 7, 2019
- Currency Impact on Regional Industry Growth - October 9, 2016
- Market Update: Commercial Aviation is Thriving - August 1, 2016