In this issue’s interconnect news, we meet DesignCon’s Engineer of the Year and are introduced to a number of new products from global suppliers.
Eric Bogatin Named DesignCon’s Engineer of the Year
DesignCon 2016, held January 19 – 21 in Santa Clara, Calif., recognized Dr. Eric Bogatin of the Teledyne LeCroy Signal Integrity Academy with its 2016 Engineer of the Year Award for his leadership, creativity, and out-of-the-box thinking.
The DesignCon Engineer of the Year Award honors professionals in the engineering space for innovation, forward thinking, and positive contributions to the design/test of chips, boards, or systems. After peers nominated Bogatin, the editors of EDN/EETimes selected him as a finalist, and the DesignCon community – which he’s both a longtime supporter of and contributor to – pronounced him the winner by vote. CLICK FOR FULL STORY
Connector Manufacturers’ Announcements
- ODU announced that its MEDI-SNAP miniature connector solutions are now available with a 48-hour lead time. Designed for reusable and disposable medical applications, the circular plastic connectors feature miniature push-pull locking mechanisms and high chemical resistance and are also suitable for industrial and test and measurement applications.
- Everett Charles Technologies’ Compliant Connectors Team successfully developed a custom solution for a demanding medical application in the area of video imaging and endoscopic data.
- TTI announced that Scott Slack will assume the position of senior vice president and chief financial officer on February 1, 2016.
- TLC Electronics recently bolstered its technical resources with the addition of a new applications engineer, Jeff Martin; a new marketing specialist, Chris Humting; and two new customer service representatives, Lucas Gerstner and Matt Thornsen.
- Arrow Electronics announced that Andrew S. Bryant is retiring from his position as chief operating officer of the company’s global components and global enterprise computing solutions businesses, effective April 30, 2016.
- TE introduced the new GRACE INERTIA connectors for wire-to-board connectivity up to 10A. Featuring a 6.0mm pitch and a locking mechanism that helps prevent improper mating, the new connectors save valuable board space and ensure secure connections in appliance, HVAC, and industrial equipment applications.
- Molex now offers fully customizable cable assemblies and harnesses to help OEMs reduce cost, save time, and cut material waste in harsh environment applications, such as industrial automation and robotics.
- Amphenol Industrial has enhanced its standard cadmium shell plating for use in harsh environments. Originally designed for marine applications, the new zinc-over-electroless-nickel (ZnNi) shell plating is ideal for use in military and industrial applications that demand RoHS compliance.
- AMETEK Subsea Interconnect has expanded its portfolio of high-pressure glass-to-metal feedthroughs with the addition of Subsea Series glass-to-metal sealed penetrators. Used to communicate electrical signals from downhole pressure and temperature sensors, the new single- and multi-channel penetrators deliver high-reliability performance in the extreme environments typically found in subsea oil and gas applications.
- HARTING has added a slimline screwdriver set and tightening torque tool for guiding pins to its expansive portfolio of connector tooling solutions.
- AerosUSA introduced its FLEXAquick connector system. The new single-piece design combines cable protection with sealing and locking mechanisms to reduce assembly time, prevent the loss of additional components, and reduce design costs.
- Ironwood Electronics launched a new high-performance BGA socket for 1mm-pitch BGA 2104 pin Xilinx IC. Operating at bandwidths up to 27GHz with less than 1dB of insertion loss, the socket features an easy-open clamshell lid with low-force lever actuation, enabling the application of 140 pounds of vertical force with a single finger.
Distributors Now Carry
- TLC Electronics now carries JST’s UB Series sealed micro USB connectors, which are ideally suited for applications that require an IPX7 rating.
- Mouser has teamed up with Fairchild, Littlefuse, and Amphenol Commercial Products to provide engineers with the components they need to incorporate USB Type-C technology solutions into new and existing designs.
- TTI is the first distributor to stock TE’s Circular Hybrid Connector. Ideal for machine automation applications that require high-performance data connections and up to 10A power, the connector features eight power and four data contacts for industrial Ethernet connections.
- ept will showcase its Colibri COM Express connector system at embedded world 2016, which will take place February 23 – 25 in Nuremberg. Ideal for PCI Express 3.0 applications with 8 or 10Gb/s Ethernet (10GBASE-KR), ept’s Colibri connector system delivers first-rate signal integrity, flexible utility, and a rugged design.
- MikroElektronika Intel Joule click shields - May 10, 2017
- Right Angle Board-to-Board Battery Connectors Suit High Shock and Vibration Applications - May 10, 2017
- Compression Pulling Head Family Offers Six Sizes - May 3, 2017